Thursday, December 1, 2011

Our Advent Plans for 2011

Today marks the first day of the beginning of our Advent season.  As we look forward to celebrating the birth of Jesus, Dawson and I wanted our family to learn more about God and also have some family fun.  As I prayed about it and searched the Internet, I came up with the following ideas that we will do each day:

1. The Names and/or Attributes of God.  Each day, the boys will open up a box and will find an ornament (made from chipboard - real simple) with a name or attribute of God.  We will read scriptures from the Bible that mentions that attribute and then we will do a craft or activity that surrounds the meaning of that name.  The information that I used, I found here, however I did change some of the crafts a little bit.

Today, we will focus on "Almighty" God, we will read Gen 17:1-3; Gen. 15:5; Gen. 35:11 and Ps. 90:1-2.  For our craft, I glued yellow popsicle sticks together to form a star - and the kids will decorate it with glitter glue.

2. Fun Family Activities.  After we learn about a name or attribute of God, the boys will then take out a slip of paper that lists a fun family activity that we will do together.  I first found this idea on Simple Mom's blog.  She posted a Christmas Countdown, and I thought it was a great idea.  I have changed the activities a little bit to suit what we will be doing this month, but her list was a great place to begin thinking about what I wanted our family to do!

So what will our family be doing today?  We will be decorating the Christmas tree (which the boys have been looking forward to doing) while listening to Christmas music!  It will be followed by sipping some hot chocolate!

I will be sharing more of what we are going to be doing this month in another post!  I hope that you are having a wonderful time with your family!

No comments: