Thursday, March 1, 2012

Old Fashioned Homemade Pancakes...and Freezer Cooking!

It is the way that God created me!!!

I LOVE to try new recipes. All.the.time!  The good news - we get to taste a variety of flavors.  The bad news - is there really any bad news associated with this?  :)

This past Tuesday was Pancake Day!  YUM!!!  So, I decided to make pancakes for dinner!  The kids were so excited - so was I!

Photo courtesy of Pocket Change Gourmet
I tried a new recipe that is called Old Fashioned Homemade Pancakes that I found on Pocket Change Gourmet.  I have been looking for a recipe that would produce light and fluffy pancakes, and I believe that I found it!  The pancakes came out great - EVERYONE LOVED them and the boys asked me to make them again and again! The original recipe only made 6 large pancakes, so I doubled it.  The recipe that I used is below.

Do you know what else I did?  I decided to take their suggestion, and prepare a few of the pancake mixes ahead of time.  To do this, simply take a ziploc bag, pour the dry ingredients into the bag, seal it up and use a sharpie to write the wet ingredients that need to be added the the dry mix on the outside of the bag (be sure to date and label the bag with the name of the recipe!).  I labeled the bag BEFORE I poured in the dry ingredients - it is a little easier to write on a flat surface - and used a sandwich sized bag!  I made up five of these bags, then put the sealed bags into a large gallon ziploc bag.  To keep the ingredients fresh, I will place this bag into my freezer, mark it on my freezer inventory sheet...and I just completed some "freezer cooking/preparation."  Then, when I feel like making pancakes, I will save myself a few minutes of time by simply grabbing one of these already prepared bags of dry ingredients!

Check out this recipe:

Ingredients
    Dry Ingredients
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Wet Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups milk {a little less or a little more is fine depending on the consistency you like}
  • 1/4 cup (4 T) oil - I used canola
Instructions
  1. In a large measuring cup, whisk together dry ingredients
  2. Add wet ingredients and mix well
  3. Heat griddle and spray with non-stick cooking spray
  4. Pour batter onto hot griddle
  5. Cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, flip and cook other side
  6. Note: batter makes 3 cups - use 1/4 cup for each pancake, it will make 12 large pancakes - these will spread out a little bit while they cook, so be sure they have a little bit of "room to grow"!

No comments: