Sunday, August 9, 2009

Our Theme Week #1: Cows

I suppose I just needed some focus, something that made sense to me. I don't think that I was wired to regularly pick things randomly...once in a while is okay, but I needed some type of system...some type of curriculum!

I enjoy doing crafts with my kids, but lately I have not felt inspired to do any - I was not sure what I wanted to do. I needed something to kick start me again, so I decided to turn to the Internet and look for some ideas. What I decided to look up was preschool curriculum, since Brady falls in to that category (he is 3 1/2). I found this website called Brightly Beaming Resources, which has free preschool curriculum, and it seems to be what I was looking for!

I have decided to start with the preparatory curriculum, just to get our feet wet with this program, but we will see how things go...we may move a little more quickly than the time frame given, since he knows a lot of the info in it already. I am really taking it one day at a time and ready to have some fun!

So, this week, we will be learning about cows, and working on writing the letter A, the number 1, drawing and cutting out squares, learning a nursery rhyme, and I am also going to teach him a Bible verse each week too! Along with that, we will be doing cow related crafts, reading books and poems about cows and singing songs!

Today, I started peaking Brady's interest in the theme by having him complete a craft - he colored a wooden cow with markers. It cost 30 cents from Michael's - and it came with a rooster too.

I still need to finish making our Learning Poster and somehow binding his counting book (that can actually wait another day or two) before I go to bed tonight...I feel like I am back into teaching again!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Back into teaching it and loving it it sounds like! And why not? You just went from big people, to little people...who just happen to get to call you mommy. I look forward to hearing about it all!!

This Journey of Mine said...

I did that exact same program last year for Zachy. He was four and loved it. For the learning poster, I actually purchased a cork board and used that instead. It was easier to pin things then to constantly be taping them. And for the number book, I took the largest notecards out there and put two hole punches in the top and bound the stack with ribbon. Also, I went ahead and printed off each weeks lesson, along with a coloring page and craft and put them into a binder. So all I had to do each week was open my binder and everything was already there. I did a lot in the beginning but the year was so smooth and easy because I had already did all the extra work!

If you have any questions (although the site is really good) email me. I loved using this easy curriculm! And Zach liked it too!

PS - snuggling up with all the books was a highlight for Zachy!