Thursday, November 12, 2009

Surgery: Update

Having a bone removed from my body was not on my list of things to do this year, however, it is something that had to be done! (I began posting about it here.) I was having pain in my foot everyday from walking around the house, the yard, walking through a store or exercising. It was something that I knew I did not want to live with, if I did not have to. So, after an MRI took place, it was confirmed that I had avascular necrosis in my toe, and the only way to get rid of the pain, was to remove the bone.

I have to tell you that I was not really excited about the idea of this surgery, however, I am looking forward to being able to walk with out any pain! That being said, I will give you a little update about how I am doing!

When I got home from the surgery, I was in a lot of pain. I could barely get from my bedroom to the bathroom...the night of my surgery, I had to call to my husband to come and help me get back into bed. They told me to treat my foot like it was glass - and I did!

It has now been almost 3 weeks since my surgery, and I am doing better, overall. The stitches are out and the bruises are getting lighter. I was actually surprised at how bruised my foot was...and I only was able to see it after the wrap came off 10 days after surgery! I wonder how bad it actually looked! I realized that I did not have full feeling in my toes, but that had improved over time too. I am not able to walk on it for long periods of time without pain, but it is getting better each day, and I have regained a lot of feeling back in my toes. I also need to keep it elevated a lot of the time or it will start to throb and get swollen, but that will eventually get better too. I was just reading that full recovery should take place in about 6-8 weeks, although my doctor said that it may swell for about 3 months. We will see what happens! I am praying for a speedy recovery!! I don't have to take a lot of pain meds anymore, so I know that I am on the road to recovery! Oh, and I have had to wear a surgical shoe since the day of my surgery, but I will probably be out of that and into a sneaker full time within the next week.

I have been very grateful to my family - my mom, dad and sister have been so instrumental in my recovery. One (or more) of them have come to my house each day, for most of the day, to help take care of my 1 and 3 year old boys, so that I can rest and heal. That has meant so much to me! It is really hard to rest when I have to "run" after the boys! I am also thankful for my family and friends who have volunteered to make a meal for our family. What a blessing that had been! Trying to make a meal in the kitchen is not ideal when you have had surgery on your foot! I tried it last Saturday, and I paid for through Sunday! My foot hurt so much that I had to just sit in the recliner and elevate it for most of Sunday afternoon. So, I am trying to figure out a better way to get meals together for my family, so that I do not have to be on my feet for so long. Dawson and I may need to put the meal together the night before, so that I can just pop it in the oven the next day...we will see what works!

So, in a nutshell - the healing process is taking place, I will be out of this surgical shoe soon and into sneakers full time, and I am looking forward to exercising again!

Keep me in your prayers!

1 comment:

TCC said...

Love you!

Thankfully Mom, Dad and I have been able to be there for you and each other. Dad has really stepped it up with Mom not feeling well and my kids fighting this fever thing. Go Daddy-o. ;)

I continue to pray for health and wholeness over our entire family!