Saturday, May 31, 2008

"Put My Pants On, By Myself!"

This is what I was greeted with when I got Brady up from his nap on Friday: "Put my pants on by myself, Mommy!"

My initial response was: "very good!" I always like to encourage Brady when he has done something on his own.

Any then, my mind quickly went into another mode...ahhhh!!!

Me (aloud): Wh-, why did you need to put your pants back on? (actually shorts - but I did not correct him, that was not what I was concerned about!)

Me (In my mind): Why were they off? OH, NO! Are his shorts wet? His sheets wet? What type of mess am I going to find?????

I quickly looked at him - his shorts were on perfectly - and then I scanned the bed and saw his diaper. Open. Laying on the bed! It was soaked! Then I took him off of the bed and saw that his shorts were dry (oh good, he must have just done this!), and then I told him that he should never take his diaper off...only mommy and daddy does that, etc.

I did not yell at him, but the way that I responded to the situation definitely made a point to him - the poor little guy cried!

After a new diaper was put back on, (my point was made that he does not take his diaper off) and many hugs later...I thought to myself - he did a great job of putting his shorts on and pulling them up all by himself! Go Brady!! :)

4 comments:

Trish said...

Don't you love it when they leave out the important details!

Anonymous said...

Oh so cute!
I love that"what am I going to find" moment! :)

Mrs. C said...

hee hee hee hee!

He so reminds me of Jeter in the way he responds to you. All we had to do is give him a stern look and he was near tears. To Barber, the stern look is an invitation to make funny faces!

Mrs. C said...

hee hee hee hee!

He so reminds me of Jeter in the way he responds to you. All we had to do is give him a stern look and he was near tears. To Barber, the stern look is an invitation to make funny faces!