Thursday, May 14, 2009

"Mommy, I'm Not Done!"

I have a great little story to tell you...

Last week, I did not get Brady (almost 3 1/2 years old) down for a nap until 3pm! I was busy with the yard sale, and well, time slipped away. He woke up crying about 45 minutes later.

"Great," I thought. Smiles and I went up to get Brady, and he was not a happy camper, and was all sweaty. He was not making sense with what he was saying - he was still tired. I decided to take him downstairs, instead of trying to get him back to sleep (which does work for me, with him).

We were downstairs in the family room and Brady was sitting on my lap on our recliner - Smiles was playing with toys. The following conversation really did take place, and I wanted to share it with you (and I am not making it up!)

Brady: Mommy, I'm not done sleeping.

Me: Well, why don't you just snuggle with Mommy for a little bit

Brady: No, I'm not done sleeping! I want you to bring me upstairs to finish my nap!

Me: Are you sure? You know, Mommy will just bring you upstairs, put you in bed and then leave. Are you sure you want to do that? (since it was 4pm, I kind of did not want him to go back to sleep, but he persisted).

Brady: Yes, Mommy, please bring me upstairs so I can finish my nap.

Me: ok, hunny.

So, I carried him upstairs, place him in bed, pulled the covers on to him, kissed him goodnight, and went back downstairs. Part of me was thinking that he was really going to go to sleep and the other part of me was thinking that I might see him back downstairs in about 2 minutes.

Well, the first part of me was correct! He fell back asleep for an hour and a half!!! He did not get up until 5:30pm!!! Normally, I would not let him sleep that long (5 pm is the latest), but since I remembered that Dawson was not going to be home until about 7pm, I decided to let my little guy sleep a little longer than normal!

And you know what? He was in bed by 8:30pm...and fell asleep! He amazed me!

3 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Oooooh, maybe a growth spurt?! How cute of him to ask so nicely.

Mrs. C said...

I think this is so cute.

Don't you wish we could crawl into bed for however long we need to when we think we're not done sleeping yet?

queenmum said...

Such a practical little boy!