Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Super Power Muffins Recipe

I am always eager and ready to try a new recipe, especially if there is a healthy aspect to it, and it tastes great too (or at least someone initially recommended it - and it sounds good too!). Money Saving Mom recommended this recipe that one of her commenters gave her.

I have to admit that I have not been a fan of substituting white flour for whole wheat flour in my baking - besides bread. I WANT to like the way that it tastes for health purposes, however the texture and taste of the whole wheat flour in the waffles and cookies that I made was not really tasty...kind of a weird taste.

So, when I came across the following recipe, I had a combination of feelings - excited to try it, yet a little hesitant. However, since I enjoy adventure when I bake, I decided to try it tonight.


Super Power Muffins:
1 cup brown sugar (don’t pack it!)
¼ to ½ cup peanut butter (I decided to use 1/3 cup)
1 banana
*optional ½ cup of apple sauce or carrot puree
(I am not sure if this is additional or not, but I did not add this in today's mixture. I am going to try adding it next time - it may make them a little more moist...or, I am sure that you can add another banana too.)
1 egg
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
*optional ¼ cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients well and set aside. Blend everything else and then sift in dry ingredients. Spray muffin tray. Bake for 15-18 min. Makes 12 (double for 24)

What did I think about them? They are quite tasty - and healthy! It had more of a peanut butter taste than banana taste. I would recommend trying them and tweak them to your own taste!

I actually made two versions of the muffins:

1. Version 1 - followed the recipe (using white whole wheat flour, and the 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips)

2. Version 2 - used white flour (I just wanted to compare it with version 1, and I did not add any chocolate chips - wanted to see how they tasted without that sweetness)

1 comment:

The Gang's Momma! said...

I'll have to try this next time I shop. We're out of bananas. I swear, I can't bake with bananas at all lately. I have to buy double and mark one bag "DO NOT EAT!" if I want to use them for baking :)