Thursday, March 20, 2008

Being a Good Steward

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about our finances and questioning how we can continue to be a good steward of what the Lord has given us, and what we can do to improve.

When we first were married, Dawson and I had a huge mountain of debt to pay off - college bills and car loans, and it took us about two years to pay off all of the debt. It was a sacrifice at times, but we don't want to live in debt and we are thankful that we do not have that hanging over our heads.

There are many different areas that I am researching and praying about, but for now I am learning to be a good steward in my daily life...trying not to let things go to waste (food that had been purchased) and saving money by CVS-ing.

What I am doing today to be a good steward of what God has given to us...and not letting things go to waste is:

1. Making banana bread with two bananas that were sitting on the counter and too ripe for me to eat, and one banana that I had frozen. When I buy bananas and not all of them are eaten before they are over-ripe, I peel them and freeze them for use later. I have many bananas in the freezer that I need to make more bread with. I am proud of myself that I actually made the bread today and did not just pop the bananas in the freezer for later (whenever that happens!). I know that Dawson will be excited to eat some of the bread - I already tried some...YUM!

2. Making applesauce with some apples that I bought and did not like the texture of while eating them. I figured that they would make a great sauce though! So, that is currently cooking away on the stove top.

3. Balancing my checkbook - this is a goal today. I have been meaning to do it this week, but now I have made it a priority to do it today! By keeping track of our purchases and our budget, I can be sure that we are living within the budget that we have set up for our family.

So, I am off to start balancing the checkbook...while the kids are still sleeping! Not sure how much time I have left, but every minute counts!

2 comments:

Trish said...

You are officially my hero - I am lucky if I even get something together for dinner half the time! Seriously, you are doing an awesome job and are definitely inspiring me to be more purposeful about my time at home.

Livin' Life said...

YOu are such an encourager. I am with you we really need to be stewards of our money. Right now my Knight and I are trying to finish off our debt. You are right it is a sacrifice but worth it all.