Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I Would Rather Clean Up Spit-up!

Within a half hour of each other, I had both boys down for an afternoon nap! Smiles is now down to two naps a day, so they nap together for an hour or two. Today, Brady went down first and then Smiles followed about a half hour later.

I was just about to go out and get the mail, when I heard a cry and a few coughs - it sounded like Brady. I ran upstairs and gently opened the door of his room - he was laying on his back with his eyes closed - sleeping! So, I figured that it was just something that he was doing in his sleep. I put my ear to Smiles' door and heard nothing, so I figured that it was ok to go back downstairs and get the mail.

As I was getting my shoes on, I heard some coughing and some real crying now - so, I bolted back up the stairs, and open Brady's door. He was sitting up in bed and crying. I picked him up and asked him what was wrong. He kept doing some type of cough - like there was something in the back of his throat, and he was pointing at his mouth.

So, I sat down at the end of his bed with him on my lap, facing me. I was trying to comfort him and I prayed to the Lord, "God, we don't know what is wrong, but you do, so I just pray that you would bring healing into Brady's body."

At that point, Brady started to throw up. All over me and himself. His hands had some of it on him, and I realized that I actually caught a handful of this stuff in my right hand - GROSS! He finished emptying the contents of his stomach onto my shirt, shorts, his shirt and shorts, and there we sat for a moment. I was trying to explain to him what just happened and wanted to hug him, but realized that I really cannot since I had throw up in my hand.

While I was doing that, I was also thinking - how am I going to get us cleaned up???

I needed to get us to the bathroom. But, I didn't want to get the throw up all over the tan carpet...what could I use to wipe us up with? I was looking around and spotted his blankies that he sleeps with - not his favorite blankie, however he really does like the blankets that I grabbed! So, I grabbed the blanket, deposited the contents of my right hand into it, wiped Brady's hand down and then grabbed another blankie to hold the dirty blanket. I then realized that we needed to at least take off our shirts before I transported Brady to the bathroom. So, I deposited those shirts on to the blanket as well.

I quickly carried Brady to the bathroom, gave him lots of hugs, went back to get the soiled clothing and blankets and then gave Brady a bath - some throw up got in his hair when I took his shirt off! He felt better by the end of the bath. After the bath was done and I partially dried him off, he asked if he could go back into the bath...so, I put fresh water into the tub and let him play in it a little bit while I began to clean up the clothing.

After a little bit, I decided that it was time to get him out of the tub and back into bed - to take the rest of his nap. After I put him down, I went into the bathroom to continue the cleaning of the clothing. I suddenly heard crying again - "Oh, no!". I ran into Brady's room - concerned that I was going to have a reenactment of what happened about 30 minutes before - and asked him what was wrong?

Brady answered, "I can't find my yellow blanket" - with tears in his eyes.

I had to explain to him that it was involved in cleaning up the throw up and that Mommy had to wash it (speaking of which - I need to go put it in the dryer). So, after a few minutes, he was fine, and then asked me to hold him and sing "Jesus Loves Me." So, we sang together and I was relieved that a reenactment did not take place!

I just have to say that throw up is so much worse than spit up (and I have had plenty of that to clean up)! As I was cleaning the clothing, the smell of it almost made me throw up! Thankfully, it was only a huge dry heave and my stomach was able to settle down.

So far, Brady still seems fine - I am praying that this was an isolated incident and that neither he nor any of the rest of us throws up again...I would like to say forever, but I know that would be wishful thinking. So, maybe for a very long time! :)

5 comments:

Natalie said...

God bless you. I've had that happen before and it is sooooo gross.

Hands-Free Heart said...

Yep, we've had that too. And you do have to do that laundry right away, because what's really not fun is running out of bedsheets etc., because of multiple episodes!

I hope he's doing fine now.

Mrs. C said...

Yuch. Yuchy-yuch.

Praying that no one else gets sick.

Kelli said...

Why do we always try to catch it? Really. We know that it is icky and oozy, yet we still reach out our hands to grab it as if it were a solid. :)

Trish said...

Yuck, yuck, yuck! I hate throw up the most!! Michael seems to think if he lays down so it can't come up he will be okay; we have actually had to turn him over and hold him in a position where it could come out. At that point, I was happy for a blanket rather than the floor!

Hope all are well now. :)