Thursday, September 25, 2008

Squealing With Delight!


It has been so interesting for me to see, through my sons' lives, what it is like to be the firstborn and then the second born. I was the second born (and youngest) and I always had an older sister to play with and talk to. I was actually very sad when my sister went away to college! The first born only has mommy and daddy (which is just fine!) to interact with all of the time. But a second born (or thereafter) has an older sibling to connect with - and their connection is different. I am not sure how to explain it, but if you have more than one child, you have probably experience how they interact.

I LOVE to see how excited he is when Brady walks into his room when he is waking up from a nap - he laughs, and his arms start flapping - it is so cute! A smile instantly appears on my face! Another fun moment is when Smiles and I go into Brady's room to get him after his afternoon nap - yes, he waits in bed for me to come and get him! I can feel Smiles' anticipation as he is leaning towards the door, waiting for me to open it. Then when we enter the room, he smiles, laughs, kicks his legs, waves his arms, etc! It is so sweet! Brady also gets excited and hugs Smiles and plays with him and makes him laugh more.

It has been fun to watch Smiles enter this knew phase of his life...he squeals with laughter and delight...and I love it! It is so cute to hear and to experience. He gets so excited, that a squeal of laughter is the best way that he is able to express himself.

Do you know what I love the most about this laughter and delight? I can already see the loving relationship that is forming between them, that I continue to pray for. I pray that their relationship will be so strong, that they will not just be brothers, but also friends. My desire is that they can experience a friendship with each other, like I have with my sister. She had always been there for me, she will always be there for me - that is what I desire for my boys.
I love my two little boys! They are so sweet and bring joy into my life. I am so thankful that the Lord placed Brady and Smiles into my life!

4 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Totally pray and believe that for your boys - and ours too!

Isn't it awesome to get a glimpse of their relationship at such a young age?

Give Smiles and Brady hugs and kisses for me!

heidi @ ggip said...

What a very cute picture! I haven't thought much about being the first or second born. I guess I think more about how it is to parent one versus two children.

Hands-Free Heart said...

I also have loved observing my boys' relationship with each other.

I am a firstborn, but until I had two children, I never gave much thought to the younger child's perspective. My youngest misses the oldest when he goes to Kindergarten... I'm sure college will be even harder! And my brother probably missed me when I went to college 2 years before him.

Trish said...

I am seeing more and more how lonely my only child gets sometimes, although I am sure he would dislike the lesser amount of attention he would receive if there were another child here! Maybe we'll get a dog. :)