Monday, September 3, 2007

The First Leg of Our Trip

When Dawson and I got married, I gained two sets of grandparents. All of mine had passed away, so I was really excited to have this generation directly in my life again. Since we have been married, we have traveled yearly to New England to visit Dawson's grandparents. I am so glad that we have been able to do this because in the past two years, the grandfathers have passed away. I am so glad that I was able to get to know them before they left this earth to be with our heavenly Father.

This year, we were doing things a little differently. We made plans to first drive to Dawson's Nanny's house - his paternal gramma (Brady's great Nanny - I will call her G.Nanny because Dawson's mom is Nanny to Brady). She lives south of Boston - Red Socks territory. Dawson is a Red Socks fan. Instead of only visiting with her, we drove her up to Vermont so that she could visit with her only living sister. Her sister lives very close to a lot of aunts, uncles and cousins that I have up there, so we were able to see many people while we were up there. She is not able to see her sister often because neither of them want to drive that distance - I cannot blame them! So, we were very happy to bless her and take with us. She is such a sweet lady and I am so thankful that she is my Nanny too!

So, we left on Friday the 24th of August - drove about 8 hours and finally arrived at G. Nanny's. We slept overnight, and then left the next morning and drove about 6 hours to Vermont. We stayed overnight with G. Nanny's sister, and visited with Dawson's cousins. Something that is interesting that they are going to do is to raise alpacas. We missed their arrival by one week, but G. Nanny is going to stay up there for a few weeks, so she will be able to tell us all about it!
On Sunday, we left after lunch to visit my aunt and uncle - they only lived about 40 minutes, we did not have a long drive on Sunday. It was so nice to see my Aunt Nonnie and Uncle Deeda (those are the names that their grandkids call them). We had such a great time with them. She is one of my mom's older sisters - my mom comes from a family of 5 girls and 2 boys. They made us feel at home and we had wonderful talks with them - and they made us the best tasting food too! Uncle Deeda is a great cook - he cooks probably as much as my aunt, who is also a great cook.
Brady warmed up to them somewhat quickly and loved playing with the toys that they had there. He also loved to play with their broom - he LOVES brooms - so, whenever he sees one, he wants to sweep with it! At one of the meals, we were eating corn on the cob, and Brady wanted to eat some off of the cob! So, I held it for a little while and he chomped away at the corn, and then he wanted to hold it, so I gave him half an ear of corn, and he had a great time eating it! I was pretty impressed with how well he did!

On Monday, we decided to go and do something active and fun, so we went to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and took a tour. It was a lot of fun. We did not buy any teddy bears this year - they are very expensive! Maybe another year when Brady would appreciate it more!

So, we left Vermont on Tuesday and headed toward our next far, Sandy at Jesus and Dark Chocolate has been correct in her guesses as to where we were. I will enlighten all of you about the lighthouses part in my next post! be continued...

No comments: