Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Typical, Wonderful Christmas Day

We had a wonderful Christmas day filled with family and presents too. Christmas day is spent with my side of the family, and we usually have Christmas with Dawson's side of the family on Christmas Eve (although this year, we will celebrate on the 27th).

After we wake up on Christmas morning, we start our day by reading the account of Jesus being born. This is a tradition that both Dawson and my family had, and we are happy to continue it! Eventually, we will read the story straight from the Bible with each person taking a turn, but this year, we decided to read one of the picture books that we have for the kids, just because of their age. They definitely enjoyed it. Then we went down stairs to open presents together (and I found Smiles' stocking right before we went down the stairs! (It is SO much nicer than the one that I has Dawson pick up at the dollar store!).

The boys were so excited when they saw a stuffed animal at the top of their stocking - Brady had Curious George monkey in his and Smiles had a hippo. We had the boys open up some of their presents - Smiles did not completely understand what he was "supposed" to be doing, but he did enjoy the bag that we were putting the torn wrapping paper in - it was really cute! very typical of a baby's first Christmas! We took a break from presents (put Smiles down for a nap) and Dawson and I began to get breakfast going.

Around 9:30, my parents came over and we ate breakfast together which included homemade waffles, scrambled eggs, turkey sausage, and of course some egg nog - we always had egg nog Christmas morning - and decaf Colombian coffee (my favorite). It was a really nice breakfast.

After breakfast, we exchanged presents with my parents - and Smiles woke up right before my parents were going to leave. So, he was able to open up the presents with them, and it was so worth it for them to see how much he enjoyed the ride on toy that they gave to him. It plays the ABC song, and he was dancing to it - so cute!

So, after my parents spends time with us, they move on to my sister's house (ahead of us), so that they can spend some time with them, before we head over there. We then have enough time to get everyone dressed and head out the door to my sister's house.

At my sister's house, we had so much fun, exchanging gifts, and eating LOTS of great food! We may not be Italian, but we definitely know how to make and eat delicious Italian food - all props to my sis and her hubby too! Dinner was delicious - chicken parm, sausage with peppers and onions (for those who wanted some!), three veggie dishes, bread with her dipping oil mixture, and wonderful family to enjoy it. Simms' family was also there as well.

We had a wonderful time, and I think the great gift that I received that day came from my son Smiles - which I will write about in another post! Brady also gave me lots of snuggles and hugs, and I enjoyed every minute of it!

I love my family and I am so thankful that we were able to have a wonderful day as we celebrated the birth of Christ.

No comments: